- A new collective agreement was signed between the GWU and TG Services Co. Ltd
- “Satisfied with the new practices introduced for civil servants, including the measure proposed by the GWU”
- “The environment is an important pillar for a better quality of life’’
- GWU salutes Malta on Freedom Day its 44th anniversary
- The licence regulates whether a contractor may work or not
- Majority of employees earn more than 20,000 euros
- Appeal for stability in industrial relations
- The General Workers’ Union pays a courtesy visit to the new Chief Executive of MCST
- Signing of a new collective agreement between GWU and Gutenberg
- GWU welcomes with satisfaction the news that Malta has seen the biggest increase in the number of people in work in the EU
- Potential to improve quality of life for workers
- “Education is the weapon with which you increase your salary”
- “Good investment… more opportunities for our students in the tourism sector”
- The GWU is of the opinion that private care workers with atypical working conditions should be given the In-Work Benefit
- Better quality of life for workers in general
- “The hospitality industry has a bright future ahead of it”
- “A scientific tool that can systematize adequate living conditions”
- Healthmark introduces new categories of special leave for its employees in new collective bargaining agreement with GWU
- “Society should recognize the importance of MCESD and get involved”
- The GWU with a collective agreement for the employees of Multi Packaging Ltd
- New collective bargaining agreement for employees of MIA
- The General Workers’ Union has just signed a collective bargaining agreement for all Joinwell employees
- The procedure for the appointment of a secretary of the GWU section hospitality and food begins
- The GWU with a new negotiation in the areas of health and active seniority in public service
- The GWU with a donation to Istrina
- GWU participates in the initiative “Gift with love’’
- “Employers should not be stingy with workers’ health and safety”
- “We are here to make a difference in society and the lives of the workers and members of the GWU”
- A new Collective Agreement signed for the BOV support staff
- The GWU with industrial action against the Cultural Heritage Superintendence
- New collective agreement for domestic staff in president’s office
- The GWU in an industrial dispute with Identity Malta
- Signing of new collective bargaining agreement for all employees of ARMS for five years
- Signing of 4 collective agreements by the General Workers’ Union
- The GWU inscribes itself in the book of condolence of Karmenu Mifsud Bonnici
- Revision of the Disciplinary Regulations of the Civil Service Commission
- Dialogue for improvement in industrial relations
- 70 million euros more spent on pensions
- GWU declares industrial action against the Lands Authority
- GWU highlights need for new law for platform workers
- “A socially just and responsible budget”
- A small percentage reports hazards, although the majority perceives an increase in accidents
- Four working days and an extra day off for workers are among GWU’s proposals
- A Proposal Towards the Definition and Estimates of the National Living Income in Malta 2022
- “We need strong laws and policies to create a more equitable world of work”
- Further collective agreements signed by GWU
- The Prime Minister stresses that the 2023 budget will not only be defensive, but also ambitious to increase investment
- The GWU Youth Department with a presence at MCAST Freshers’ Week
- AD MULTOS ANNOS GWU
- The GWU with a collective bargaining agreement for employees of British American Tobacco (Malta) Ltd.
- “Government should continue to advocate for price transparency”
- GWU emphasizes respect and recognition for the elderly on its international day
- Covid-19 Impact on the Employment Conditions of Women, Youth, People with Disabilities, and Atypical Workers
- Students complete their training at GWU
- “The first step towards a decent income for all”
- Competitiveness, inflation and interest rates
- Abela reassures GWU… He says COLA mechanism will not change
- The GWU insists that the mechanism COLA be introduced for those in need
- New collective bargaining agreement for Toly Products employees
- IS YOUR INCOME ENOUGH TO LIVE DECENTLY?
- “Every worker deserves to go out to earn his daily bread and return safe and sound to his family”
- We use technology to work together to fight human trafficking
- The POU is pleased with the great progress made in the police force
- GWU will not accept changes to COLA mechanism
- A new collective agreement for the employees of the company Multigas Ltd
- Further collective agreements signed by GWU
- Signing of a collective agreement between GWU and LESA
- Signing of a collective agreement between GWU and LESA
- The GWU in a meeting with Member of Parliament Ray Abela
- Care workers employed by Apex Care benefit from better working conditions
- GWU directs LESA employees to temporarily suspend current policy
- “Another success that will build on the previous ones”.
- The GWU and the UHM never agreed that the payment should be less than the individual’s salary
- The GWU with the first collective agreement for employees of the Arka Foundation
- 94 percent of LESA members approve new collective bargaining agreement
- “We create careers that motivate workers to advance”
- “Collective agreement that will improve the service of our courts”
- The GWU in a labour dispute at Mater Dei Hospital
- The first collective agreement for the employees of the Dar il-Hena Foundation
- GWU proposes to grant a partial increase in COLA upfront to cover the price increase
- GWU emphasises workplace health and safety enforcement
- “We need to think about professions more”
- Signing of the first collective agreement between the GWU & the company Support Services Ltd
- The GWU at a meeting with Minister Clint Camilleri
- The GWU is part of a new sector collective agreement for hospital employees belonging to the technical class
- BOV with a new priority service for the elderly (60+) starting tomorrow
- “No worker should be discriminated against for the responsible use of cannabis”
- Need for innovative solutions to reverse the deterioration of workers’ rights
- “Discussing the way forward between the social partners and the Government”
- “Malta’s name will be given the trust it deserves”
- More young people need to move into the manufacturing sector
- “GWU is the protagonist in the realization of freedom”
- “A man who loved workers and Malta all his life”
- Former GWU general secretary Tony Zarb announced dead
- Strengthening the protection of 15,000 Italian workers in our country
- “A woman is as capable as a man”
- OHSA urges precautions against sunlight in the workplace
- New collective bargaining agreement for Malta Freeport Corporation workers
- Minister Jonathan Attard at a meeting with GWU
- GWU signs a collective agreement with G4S
- GWU receives important recognition from border control officials
- Minister Clyde Caruana in a meeting with GWU
- The GWU at a meeting with Minister Julia Farrugia Portelli
- GWU & PL commemorate the 64th anniversary of the general strike of April 28, 1958
- “A conflict that could have been avoided through dialogue and diplomacy”
- “Concerned about the impact of the cost of living on workers”
- “Together we can improve the quality of life of the elderly and workers in the sector”
- GWU Secretary General stresses that creativity & innovation are essential
- The GWU at a meeting with the deputy prime minister
- Voluntary Occupational Retirement Pension Scheme (VORPS)
- Voluntary Occupational Retirement Pension Scheme Webinar
- GWU during a visit to the fuel distribution centre in Saptan
- Signing of the first collective bargaining agreement for the employees of the Parliamentary Service
- GWU’s education department is confident about the announced release decisions
- Proposals announced to reform pension system
- An agreement that will improve workers’ skills and competencies
- Bank of Valletta and GWU sign new 3-year collective bargaining agreement
- LESA representatives within GWU meet with Minister Byron Camilleri
- GWU signs a collective bargaining agreement with Quintano Foods
- The GWU pays tribute to a Free Malta
- The GWU proposal supported those most at risk of exploitation
- GWU wins a case before the Industrial Tribunal
- The views of some female GWU employees on Women’s Day
- “Investing in a humane and sustainable world of work”
- The Prime Minister at a meeting with GWU
- “Despite the challenges, we have continued to improve working conditions”
- GWU is involved in several European projects
- The GWU with a collective agreement for the workers of the Medavia company
- Various new forms of work need to be regulated
- The Speaker welcomes a proposal by the GWU Pensioners Association
- Finance minister acknowledges work of GWU to bring justice to former shipyard workers
- The GWU collective agreement for Foster Clark employees.
- The GWU collective agreement for Foster Clark employees.
- The GWU with 80 calls per day for asbestos compensation.
- Recognition of GWU by the Malta Gaming Authority
- GWU Condemns Attack on Emergency Room Nurses
- The GWU at a meeting with Labour candidate Keith Tanti.
- The GWU donates to the Pink October campaign
- Further convictions by the GWU for assaults on workers
- GWU receives petition from Correctional Services Agency staff.
- GWU and Parliamentary Secretary Stefan Zrinzo Azzopardi discuss European funds.
- The GWU among those who proposed a census on skills
- Four students complete their apprenticeship with the GWU
- The GWU commemorates the 78th anniversary of its establishment
- Tender result for ‘National Living Income in Malta’
- The GWU with a collective agreement for employees of the Comtec Company.
- The GWU withdraws its directives within Mater Dei
- The GWU is pleased with the accomplishments for the benefit of Primary HealthCare employees.
- The GWU has called industrial action in favour of the Caring Stream
- The GWU with thanks to the staff of Enemalta plc.
- The importance of worker protection
- The GWU declares an industrial dispute within Heritage Malta.
- Successful Conferencess
- Study: ‘Challenges that Educators Face’
- The GWU receives recognition from the monitoring and enforcement officers
- “The voice of educators clearly tells us where the obstacles are.”
- GWU – International Section
- GWU reaches agreement in favour of health workers
- The Malta Chamber and GWU to promote active ageing and address legal anomalies
- Echo of the conference successful
- The GWU with a collective agreement for ST Microelectronics workers
- GWU loses a great friend and advocate
- Tourism with new opportunities
- The trade union sector has lost an important pillar
- Collective Agreement for the workers of Teva
- The GWU Maritime and Aviation
- We protect what we have achieved together
- A new collective agreement for judicial staff drivers
- Education In Early Childhood
- GWU – Hospitality and Food Section
- GWU – Taqsima Ospitalità u Ikel
- Josef Bugeja the GWU Secretary General is sure that together we can prevail
- The GWU believes that with a collective effort we can change yesterday’s result
- The GWU – Pensioners’ Association
- The GWU – Pensioners Association at a meeting with the President of the Parliament Anġlu Farrugia.
- The GWU attends MCESD meeting with Prime Minister Robert Abela
- A new collective agreement for judicial staff drivers
- The relevance of the Union in today’s economy
- Finally, the General Conference of the Pensioners’ Association.
- The GWU in industrial action with PBS
- The financial impact of the pandemic
- The GWU welcomes the re-issue of the 100 € vouchers
- GWU Chemical and Energy Section
- The GWU gains the important recognition of Gold Guard Security Services Limited
- What does diversity mean?
- “Historic collective bargaining agreement for correctional officers remains in place”.
- The GWU gains important recognition from the company Grange Security (Malta) Limited
- The GWU Pensioners Association makes a request to the Cospicua Local Council
- The GWU health care members and current policies
- Industrial Dispute in Transport Malta
- New Collective Agreement signed between the GWU and the Corrective Services Agency
- New collective agreement for Malta Enterprise employees
- GWU – Finance and Services Professionals Section
- The GWU Pensioners Association satisfied with the prime minister’s speech
- Thank you workers
- A study has been launched to define and calculate what Living Income is
- 1 May – Labour Day
- Message from GWU President Victor Carachi on Labour Day
- “Many employees appreciate the way we worked as GWU during the pandemic” Theo Vella
- Stop Food Waste Day
- More work for the elderly
- The first collective agreement was signed between Residenza Malta and the GWU.
- General strike of 28 April 1958
- Dementia problem
- The Pandemic; Negative or Positive Impact?
- World Health and Safety Day
- The GWU Metal and Construction Section
- GWU and The pensioners
- Il-GWU u l-Pensjonanti
- The GWU at a meeting with MP Oliver Scicluna
- “The decision of G4S employees posted at MIA is not being respected” – Theo Vella
- GWU – Disciplined Forces, Security and Law Enforcement Officers Section
- A Strong Cross-Border Trade Union Alliance Collaboration Agreement Between General Workers Union And CGIL
- The GWU at a meeting with the Italian Ambassador to Malta
- Workers at Correctional Services Agency feel forgotten for 27 years
- Work And Development, The Italian Ambassador Meets The GWU-CGIL Referent In Malta
- The GWU, the Dar il-Hena Foundation and Key Knowledge
- The GWU leads by example when it comes to equality
- The GWU with industrial action in favour of Healthcare workers
- “Freedom Day is the Day on which as a Union we remember our past work and shape the work of our future.” Josef Bugeja
- The GWU Department of Technology, Electronics and Communications
- Proactive education
- Soldiers begin to receive arrears due to them
- Notice from the GWU to former shipyard workers
- Tenancy law reform before 1995
- World Water Day
- GWU Pensioners Association disappointed after BOV’s latest decision
- Call for Quotations Strategic Communications and Lobbying
- Equal education
- Why the sections?
- The GWU Role
- Government and Public Entities Section within the GWU
- The GWU declares industrial action over disagreement on Healthcare Workers’ industry collective agreement
- What is the GWU doing for women in the workforce?
- Do you have a hobby you would like to share?
- Message from the GWU Pensioners’ Association
- Equal Education – A dream or a possibility?
- The General Workers’ Union welcomes pre-1995 rent reforms
- “The GWU never fails to champion Malta and the advancement of our society at work, nationally and even globally.” – Josef Bugeja
- The challenges of the GWU and what have we done?
- GWU and the Ministry of Inclusion and Quality of Life at a meeting on the importance of unions for strong workplace choices
- Achievements of the HSBC Vis-à- Vis Pensioners Association
- The GWU’s Beliefs
- HSBC Bank revises its original position after meeting with GWU
- Workers are not treated equally
- The GWU gains key recognition from Security First Services Limited
- The GWU gains important recognition in the Malta Community Agency.
- An agreement was reached between the GWU and the customs officials
- The GWU calls for a review of the sectoral agreements in which it is involved in the public sector
- Better conditions for employees of Water Services Corporation
- Notice to Mater Dei Hospital Workers
- “Great victory for the GWU… 9-year legal battle” – GWU International Secretary Jason Deguara
- GWU greet victims of Um El Faroud
- Other measures are introduced by banks harassing the elderly
- The GWU and its Role
- What are the benefits of apprenticeships?
- Cancer patients and their families
- The GWU welcomed the Austrian Ambassador to Malta
- An agreement was reached between the workers of St Vincent De Paul residence and the management of the same residence.
- GWU members are not being treated properly
- The GWU declares industrial action
- What is Dignity Action Day?
- The GWU – Pensioners Association would like to thank Minister Dr. Michael Farrugia
- A settlement was reached and GWU withdrew industrial action
- The trade union movement has lost a pillar of the past
- The GWU withdraws industrial action in Public Services Department
- Everything the GWU said about #therighttodisconnect
- The GWU is declaring industrial action in favor of its members within the Public Service Works Division.
- Better working conditions for Malta Armed Forces
- The GWU in a meeting with the leadership of ONE
- The GWU with a directive to its member care workers within SAMOC
- GWU Pensioners Association against HSBC fee increased by HSBC
- Covid 19 vaccine is a bright spot for many workers and industries
- The GWU Says Employers Should Pay For, Teleworkers’ Power, Rent, WiFi, And Other Home Costs
- The GWU’s proposal to prioritise bank employees for vaccination against Covid-19
- The GWU registers an Industrial dispute with the Court Agency
- GWU calls for an urgent meeting with One’s directors
- Official Response of the General Workers’ Union to the Budget 2021
- Hospitality and aviation are still most affected by the pandemic
- Il-GWU granted main recognition by the Land Registration Agency
- GWU instructs more industrial actions within the CPSU
- The GWU in a “cordial, satisfactory” meeting with Air Malta
- GWU Nurses appeal for the use of masks in public places
- GWU congratulates James Pearsel for his nomination as MCESD Chairman
- The GWU and Union Print laments the loss of a veteran journalist
- International Workers’ Day: GWU President’s Message
- GWU’s reaction to the social pact agreed between all social partners
- The 2nd Financial Packet: GWU’s reaction
- The GWU will not accept measures that go against established procedures and protocols
- GWU demands justice: “Whoever is responsible must be made to pay for their actions”
- GWU laments the demise of BOV’s former Chief Executive Officer
- GWU calls for urgent MCESD meeting to discuss the Covid-19 pandemic
- GWU lifts all Healthmark directives, after the Government presents its proposals
- GWU orders industrial actions among all Healthmark employees within the public health sector
- GWU orders industrial actions within the NCPE
- GWU condemns racial hatred
- Joint Press Release between the GWU and the Ministry for National Affairs and Home Security
- GWU registers an industrial dispute at Mount Carmel Hospital
The General Workers Union statute identifies the National Congress as the highest body of the Union. It assembles every four years. The National Congress is the forum in which all the assembled Delegates decide and adopt the Union’s policies for the future. The National Congress is also responsible for electing the Central Administration and the International Secretary.
The National Council is the Union’s governing body. It is composed of the Central Administration Sections’ Secretaries as well as representatives from the same sectors. Both the Pensioners’ sector and the GWU Youths are also represented in it with the right to vote during the decision-making process.
The members of the Central Administration are elected by the National Congress for a term of four years. The Central Administration is the executive body of the GWU composed of the President, Secretary General and the Deputy Secretary General. The members of the Central Administration are elected by the National Council.
Sections’ General Conferences
All Delegates, Shop Stewards, Collectors and Group Committees are appointed every four years at the Sections’ General Conference. Before the General Conference of each Section there will be a call for a motion and for nominations for the officers and members to form the Executive Committee of the Section for four years.
While the Sections’ Secretaries are appointed every four years by the Conference of their respective Sections, the International Secretary is appointed also every four years by the National Congress.
The GWU’s eight Secretariats are run distinctly by their Executive Committee composed of a President, Vice President, Secretary, Assistant Secretary and a number of members which normally do not exceed twelve persons.
According to the Statute, the Executive Committees are to call at least 12 meetings annually (preferable monthly) or as deemed necessary in order to discuss issue that arise, extraordinary circumstances and the management of the Section.
The Sections’ Secretary is responsible for the management of the Section and he occupies the post on a full-time basis while the rest of the elected officials are on a part-time basis.
The Delegates are divided into groups and put into each section, of which, some are chosen to represent the section at the General Conferences and National Congress of the Union. Delegates are elected every four years during the group general meetings, which are chaired by the Administration of the respective sectors. The delegates represent the diverse groups of workers who are members of the GWU. They also appoint Union officials who together with the National congress are responsible for the best leadership for the Union.
The GWU is open to all workers irrespective of their status, wages, or salary. Pensioners and Youths can also join the Union through their respective associations. Union members are organised in different trade secretariats according to their profession, sector, or trade.