- GWU reaches agreement in favour of health workers
- The Malta Chamber and GWU to promote active ageing and address legal anomalies
- Echo of the conference successful
- The GWU with a collective agreement for ST Microelectronics workers
- GWU loses a great friend and advocate
- Tourism with new opportunities
- The trade union sector has lost an important pillar
- Collective Agreement for the workers of Teva
- The GWU Maritime and Aviation
- We protect what we have achieved together
- A new collective agreement for judicial staff drivers
- Education In Early Childhood
- GWU – Hospitality and Food Section
- Josef Bugeja the GWU Secretary General is sure that together we can prevail
- The GWU believes that with a collective effort we can change yesterday’s result
- The GWU – Pensioners’ Association
- The GWU – Pensioners Association at a meeting with the President of the Parliament Anġlu Farrugia.
- The GWU attends MCESD meeting with Prime Minister Robert Abela
- A new collective agreement for judicial staff drivers
- The relevance of the Union in today’s economy
- Finally, the General Conference of the Pensioners’ Association.
- The GWU in industrial action with PBS
- The financial impact of the pandemic
- The GWU welcomes the re-issue of the 100 € vouchers
- GWU Chemical and Energy Section
- The GWU gains the important recognition of Gold Guard Security Services Limited
- What does diversity mean?
- “Historic collective bargaining agreement for correctional officers remains in place”.
- The GWU gains important recognition from the company Grange Security (Malta) Limited
- The GWU Pensioners Association makes a request to the Cospicua Local Council
- The GWU health care members and current policies
- Industrial Dispute in Transport Malta
- New Collective Agreement signed between the GWU and the Corrective Services Agency
- New collective agreement for Malta Enterprise employees
- GWU – Finance and Services Professionals Section
- The GWU Pensioners Association satisfied with the prime minister’s speech
- Thank you workers
- A study has been launched to define and calculate what Living Income is
- 1 May – Labour Day
- Message from GWU President Victor Carachi on Labour Day
- “Many employees appreciate the way we worked as GWU during the pandemic” Theo Vella
- Stop Food Waste Day
- More work for the elderly
- The first collective agreement was signed between Residenza Malta and the GWU.
- General strike of 28 April 1958
- Dementia problem
- The Pandemic; Negative or Positive Impact?
- World Health and Safety Day
- The GWU Metal and Construction Section
- GWU and The pensioners
- Il-GWU u l-Pensjonanti
- The GWU at a meeting with MP Oliver Scicluna
- “The decision of G4S employees posted at MIA is not being respected” – Theo Vella
- GWU – Disciplined Forces, Security and Law Enforcement Officers Section
- A Strong Cross-Border Trade Union Alliance Collaboration Agreement Between General Workers Union And CGIL
- The GWU at a meeting with the Italian Ambassador to Malta
- Workers at Correctional Services Agency feel forgotten for 27 years
- Work And Development, The Italian Ambassador Meets The GWU-CGIL Referent In Malta
- The GWU, the Dar il-Hena Foundation and Key Knowledge
- The GWU leads by example when it comes to equality
- The GWU with industrial action in favour of Healthcare workers
- “Freedom Day is the Day on which as a Union we remember our past work and shape the work of our future.” Josef Bugeja
- The GWU Department of Technology, Electronics and Communications
- Proactive education
- Soldiers begin to receive arrears due to them
- Notice from the GWU to former shipyard workers
- Tenancy law reform before 1995
- World Water Day
- GWU Pensioners Association disappointed after BOV’s latest decision
- The GWU’s Beliefs
- Equal education
- Why the sections?
- The GWU Role
- Government and Public Entities Section within the GWU
- The GWU declares industrial action over disagreement on Healthcare Workers’ industry collective agreement
- What is the GWU doing for women in the workforce?
- Do you have a hobby you would like to share?
- Message from the GWU Pensioners’ Association
- Equal Education – A dream or a possibility?
- The General Workers’ Union welcomes pre-1995 rent reforms
- “The GWU never fails to champion Malta and the advancement of our society at work, nationally and even globally.” – Josef Bugeja
- The challenges of the GWU and what have we done?
- GWU and the Ministry of Inclusion and Quality of Life at a meeting on the importance of unions for strong workplace choices
- Achievements of the HSBC Vis-à- Vis Pensioners Association
- The GWU’s Beliefs
- HSBC Bank revises its original position after meeting with GWU
- Workers are not treated equally
- The GWU gains key recognition from Security First Services Limited
- The GWU gains important recognition in the Malta Community Agency.
- An agreement was reached between the GWU and the customs officials
- The GWU calls for a review of the sectoral agreements in which it is involved in the public sector
- Better conditions for employees of Water Services Corporation
- Notice to Mater Dei Hospital Workers
- “Great victory for the GWU… 9-year legal battle” – GWU International Secretary Jason Deguara
- GWU greet victims of Um El Faroud
- Other measures are introduced by banks harassing the elderly
- The GWU and its Role
- What are the benefits of apprenticeships?
- Cancer patients and their families
- The GWU welcomed the Austrian Ambassador to Malta
- An agreement was reached between the workers of St Vincent De Paul residence and the management of the same residence.
- GWU members are not being treated properly
- The GWU declares industrial action
- What is Dignity Action Day?
- The GWU – Pensioners Association would like to thank Minister Dr. Michael Farrugia
- A settlement was reached and GWU withdrew industrial action
- The trade union movement has lost a pillar of the past
- The GWU withdraws industrial action in Public Services Department
- Everything the GWU said about #therighttodisconnect
- The GWU is declaring industrial action in favor of its members within the Public Service Works Division.
- Better working conditions for Malta Armed Forces
- The GWU in a meeting with the leadership of ONE
- The GWU with a directive to its member care workers within SAMOC
- GWU Pensioners Association against HSBC fee increased by HSBC
- Covid 19 vaccine is a bright spot for many workers and industries
- The GWU Says Employers Should Pay For, Teleworkers’ Power, Rent, WiFi, And Other Home Costs
- The GWU’s proposal to prioritise bank employees for vaccination against Covid-19
- The GWU registers an Industrial dispute with the Court Agency
- GWU calls for an urgent meeting with One’s directors
- Official Response of the General Workers’ Union to the Budget 2021
- Hospitality and aviation are still most affected by the pandemic
- Il-GWU granted main recognition by the Land Registration Agency
- GWU instructs more industrial actions within the CPSU
- The GWU in a “cordial, satisfactory” meeting with Air Malta
- GWU Nurses appeal for the use of masks in public places
- GWU congratulates James Pearsel for his nomination as MCESD Chairman
- The GWU and Union Print laments the loss of a veteran journalist
- International Workers’ Day: GWU President’s Message
- GWU’s reaction to the social pact agreed between all social partners
- The 2nd Financial Packet: GWU’s reaction
- The GWU will not accept measures that go against established procedures and protocols
- GWU demands justice: “Whoever is responsible must be made to pay for their actions”
- GWU laments the demise of BOV’s former Chief Executive Officer
- GWU calls for urgent MCESD meeting to discuss the Covid-19 pandemic
- GWU lifts all Healthmark directives, after the Government presents its proposals
- GWU orders industrial actions among all Healthmark employees within the public health sector
- GWU orders industrial actions within the NCPE
- GWU condemns racial hatred
- Joint Press Release between the GWU and the Ministry for National Affairs and Home Security
- GWU registers an industrial dispute at Mount Carmel Hospital
The General Workers Union statute identifies the National Congress as the highest body of the Union. It assembles every four years. The National Congress is the forum in which all the assembled Delegates decide and adopt the Union’s policies for the future. The National Congress is also responsible for electing the Central Administration.
The National Council is the Union’s governing body. It is composed of the Central Administration Sections’ Secretaries as well as representatives from the same sectors. Both the Pensioners’ sector and the GWU Youths are also represented in it with the right to vote during the decision- making process.
The members of Central Administration are elected by the National Congress for a term of four years. The Central Administration is the executive body of the GWU composed of the President, Secretary General, and the Deputy Secretary General. The members of the Central Administration are elected by the National Council.
Sections’ General Conferences
All Delegates, shop stewards, Collectors, and, group Committees are appointed every four years at the General Conference meetings of the sections the workers of each group elect the Delegates, Shop Stewards, Collectors’, and Group Committees of their respective section are appointed every four years. elected in a bi-annual general conference of each and every Section. The Section’s Secretary is however elected for a term of four years in alternate general conferences.
The GWU’s seven trade secretariats are run distinctly by their Executive Committee composed of a President, Vice President, Secretary, Assistant Secretary and number of members which normally do not exceed twelve persons.
According to the Statute, the Executive Committees are to call at least 12 meetings annually (preferable monthly) or as frequent as deemed necessary in order to deal with matters arising, circumstances and the running of the Section.
The Secretary of the section is the effective head and he occupies the post on a full-time basis while all the section’s other elected officials are on a part-time basis for which they are paid an honoraria as decided by the National Council.
The Delegates are divided into groups and put into each section, of which, some are chosen to represent the section at the General Conferences and National Congress of the Union. Delegates are elected every four years during the group general meetings, which are chaired by the Administration of the respective sectors. The delegates represent the diverse groups of workers who are members of the GWU. They also appoint Union officials who together with the National congress are responsible for the best leadership for the Union.
The GWU is open to all workers irrespective of their status, wages, or salary. Pensioners and Youths can also join the Union through their respective associations. Union members are organised in different trade secretariats according to their profession, sector, or trade.