- The GWU Says Employers Should Pay For, Teleworkers’ Power, Rent, WiFi, And Other Home Costs
- The GWU’s proposal to prioritise bank employees for vaccination against Covid-19
- The GWU registers an Industrial dispute with the Court Agency
- GWU calls for an urgent meeting with One’s directors
- Official Response of the General Workers’ Union to the Budget 2021
- Hospitality and aviation are still most affected by the pandemic
- Il-GWU granted main recognition by the Land Registration Agency
- GWU instructs more industrial actions within the CPSU
- The GWU in a “cordial, satisfactory” meeting with Air Malta
- GWU Nurses appeal for the use of masks in public places
- GWU congratulates James Pearsel for his nomination as MCESD Chairman
- The GWU and Union Print laments the loss of a veteran journalist
- International Workers’ Day: GWU President’s Message
- GWU’s reaction to the social pact agreed between all social partners
- The 2nd Financial Packet: GWU’s reaction
- The GWU will not accept measures that go against established procedures and protocols
- GWU demands justice: “Whoever is responsible must be made to pay for their actions”
- GWU laments the demise of BOV’s former Chief Executive Officer
- GWU calls for urgent MCESD meeting to discuss the Covid-19 pandemic
- GWU lifts all Healthmark directives, after the Government presents its proposals
- GWU orders industrial actions among all Healthmark employees within the public health sector
- GWU orders industrial actions within the NCPE
- GWU condemns racial hatred
- Joint Press Release between the GWU and the Ministry for National Affairs and Home Security
- GWU registers an industrial dispute at Mount Carmel Hospital
The International Section of the General Workers’ Union
The International Section of the General Workers’ Union was founded during the 2017 National Congress and Mr Jason Deguara was elected as the first International Section Secretary. The National Section’s main responsibility is to distribute international work and assignments and allocate responsibilities to experts within the various trade unionistic fields.
Since the International spectrum is vast, the GWU depends on the contribution and availability of the Administration, the Section Secretaries, the Delegates and Shop Stewards to attend meeting in specific areas. In recent years, the General Workers’ Union has sent several Shop Stewards on courses related to industrial relations to gain more experience and get a better understanding of the European perspective and EU laws. Our aim is to continue sending more Shop Stewards and to empower them with the necessary tools in union related matters.
Furthermore, every Section within the GWU is affiliated to several confederations and our Section Secretaries attend meetings to discuss key issues related to ongoing and current situations and matters related to the future of employment.
The General Workers’ Union is also an active member of the European Trade Union Confederation (ETUC) and the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC) which are the official umbrellas of the European and International Unions. As members of these Confederations the GWU’s central Administration, amongst them our Secretary General, Mr Josef Bugeja attend high level meetings and actively contribute to the discussions.